Electric Tech: Power Stations

There has been a revolution with battery power the past few years.  Batteries have gotten smaller, lighter, more powerful, and more affordable.

One of the most useful tools available to me, as a gaffer, are "power stations."  These are large watt-hour batteries with built-in DC-to-AC power inverters.

 

 

I own 4 of these 1500 watt-hour batteries.  At work, I generally just call them "block batteries."

 

 

These power stations usually have multiple Edison 120-volt receptacles.  They have other power options, too, like DC and USB outputs.

One of the most useful features of these batteries is the digital readout.  You can see: the charge level of the battery; the output in watts; and the estimated run-time at the current load.



This screen shows the battery with no load.  It is fully charged.  There is zero output.  It shows a runtime of  93 hours with the battery on but I don't know if those numbers mean anything without a load.


This screen show the battery with a load; a 1K Molepar.  It shows an output of 897 watts.  That is a lot of power.  The estimated runtime is 1 hour and 30 minutes.  I have found these estimated runtimes to be reasonably accurate.

It is amazing to me that I can plug in a 1200D and run it at full power for a little over an hour!  That is a huge amount of power.  These batteries handle it with no problems.

There are so many uses for these batteries on location, I automatically put at least one on the truck even if I don't have any plans for needing one.

 

PS:  I'm not endorsing any brands.  I think any of the major brands will be reliable.

My first purchase of a power station was a Jackery with 1000 watt-hours.  It has been great.

Wanting a power station that could power a 1200D, I started buying the Pecron 1500 watt-hour batteries.  They have worked great with no issues.

 

PPS:  What first got me looking at power stations were my Aputure 600Ds.  These lights were so revolutionary when they came out; so bright and affordable but could not be powered by my 14 volt gold mount batteries.

 

PPPS:  My Pecron power stations sometimes have an issue with powering large resistive loads like a 1K Molepar when first turning the light on.

I had to turn the battery off-and-on a couple times for it to finally energize the Molepar for the picture in this post.  Once the light is energized, there is no problem.  The power station powers it.

I think this is happening; the power station has circuitry to protect it from a dead short.  The surge of current when turning on the 1K light is mistaken for a dead short and the battery does not turn on.