Condor Grill II

Of course the condor in my silly April 1 post does not have a grill.  (I would love to hear what OSHA would say if you did have a grill in a condor!)  The cover to protect the controls, which is something I have never seen before.  It does look remarkably like a grill.

I'm aerial lift certified like most of my co-workers.  It is a good thing.  I had operated them for around 20 years with no certification.  Working in a smaller market (Ohio) it wasn't required.  I hadn't even heard of lift certification until my local started having classes.

I learned much about the safe operation of condors from taking certification classes.

Working as a gaffer, I don't operate them very often any more.  It is a bit disappointing.  They are fun to operate.

Back in the day I used to operate them all the time.  This is me positioning a light box for a Wheaties commercial.  I'm guessing the year is around 2010.


 

PS:  I'm really behind on my blog which is a good sign.  It means work is finally picked-up.

Work has been on the slow side--for me--the first 4 months of this year.  I had been working only 1-2 days most weeks.  Most of the jobs have been weirdly small, too; just me and one, or often just me!

I haven't done a movie so far this year.  Some has been bad luck.  A DP wanted me on a Randell Emmett movie in Ohio, but of course, production strung me along and in the end would not hire me because I was a distant hire.  They were that cheap.  That made me miss another movie.  Then, there was a horror movie shot near me.  The DP wanted me for that, too.  I didn't tell them this, but I turned it down because it was 20 days of nights.  There was a low budget indie film that had Nancy Schreiber as DP.  I was excited about working with her.  Production offered me less than $250 a day!  I unfortunately had to turn that down.  Oddly with work slow, I couldn't afford it.  I would make more money working a couple days a week with my truck.  I have taxes and bills to pay.  It has been a strange work year so far.