Will It Fit?

 

This is the Harrison Center's karaoke elevator.  I thought if I get stuck, I'll at least be able to entertain myself.

Yes, this is a scissor lift in a passenger elevator; a bit crazy.  There is maybe, almost, 1/2 inch of space on each side.  It's for a commercial at the Harrison Center in Indianapolis, IN.  We were shooting in the old classic basketball court and needed a scissor lift.  I'm in this elevator, too, taking it up to the court.  The only way to the court are steps or the elevator.

I was the gaffer, but everyone was busy and I had time to bring it in.  I regretted it a bit.  It was harder than I was expecting.

Of course, you are wondering; did I check the weight rating of the elevator?  Of course, I was once a key grip and know about stuff like this.  The elevator had a maximum load rating of 4000 pounds.  The lift weighed a hefty 2700 pounds, plus my 200 pounds leaving a good safety margin of over 1000 pounds.

We do seemingly crazy things in this movie business.

 

PS:  The AD said this was a "master class" in lift operating.  A nice compliment.  Like most union technicians, I am lift certified.