Gear: Magnetic Tube Base Update

This post is an update to my post about magnetic tube bases:

https://electricgrip.blogspot.com/2019/08/magnetic-tube-bases.html

It is my most popular post.  It shows how useful these magnetic tube base are on set.  I use them all the time.

 

The broken ring you see is the actual neodymium magnet.  The surrounding metal is a steel protective housing for it.

 

These magnetic bases look almost indestructible, but I was recently surprised to find this broken one.  I'm guessing that it had been dropped.

It shows a possible failure point with these magnetic bases.  The broken magnet could come out of the housing allowing the base to fall.  I recommend discarding any bases that are broken or have cracks in them.

I think the hazard is small but safety always comes first.

In actual use, I think even if the magnet was to break free of the housing, the force of the magnet would, most likely, keep the housing relatively secure.  Also, the magnets are well attached to the housings.  For example, the magnet in the picture above is still mechanically held to the housing though it is damaged and must not be as secure.

 

PS:  I keep some in my Titan Tube kits I use them so often.  Eight will fit nicely.