Aputure 1200D Bowens Latch Repair

Recently I was surprised that one of my 1200Ds had a new problem where the latch for the Bowens mount was not working properly.  The pin for the latch would not fully retract making it impossible to remove anything in the mount.  The work around was to use a small tool like a screw driver and push the pin fully in.

Looking at the 1200D head, it looked like a repair might be difficult but fortunately is was simple.

With the head upright on my work bench, it was easy to remove the front plate; screws on the front with 4 small screws on the bottom and bottom sides.  I removed the LED cover, too, but I'm not sure that was necessary.

 

I am impressed with the technology of these lights and how well they are designed.

The Bowens latch is built into the front plate.  Examining it, I found a small screw that retains the Bowens mount pin had come loose.  I put Loctite on it and tightened it.  The mechanism works like new.  With the Loctite on it, I doubt it will ever come loose again.

 




PS:  I love my 1200Ds.  They are revolutionary.  They have mostly replaced 1200 and 1800 HMIs for me.  (I still occasionally use M18s--they are brighter despite all the hyperbole about LED lights--but not very often.)  The technology behind them is amazing.  I'm expecting in the not too distant future to see LEDs that start rivaling 4K HMIs.

 

PPS:  I love Loctite.  I use it all the time.  It is essential to use on nuts & bolts & screws that may come loose which is a problem with so much of our lighting gear.