Covid . . . again

 

We all had hope that Covid would some how go away.  It is looking like it has become what they call an endemic disease, much like the flu.  It is here to stay.

I'm guessing much like the flu, we will be getting Covid shots every year.

I am sick with Covid for the first time.  It is day 2 for me.  The first day was the worst but since then I have been feeling better every day.


I've been fearing this 2nd line for 2 years.

 

I feel like I've been amazingly lucky to have avoided it for so long.  When I am working, I am around many people.

It is a tribute to science that I am having a quick recovery.  I am fully vaccinated and taking Paxlovid antiviral medicine.

My outcome could have been much worse before these were available.

 

 

PS:  I get a flu shot every year.

About 10 years ago, I got the flu.  It was the sickest I've been since I was a child.  I had a 103 fever for almost 3 days.  I don't know how to describe how miserable I felt during those 3 days.  Every minute was misery.  I felt so bad that even sleep was elusive.  It was almost unbearable, really.

I had to cancel a shoot with short notice because I was too sick to work.  Unfortunately, I had previously called this production manager/coordinator and tried to get out of this shoot because I had a better offer.  She had said no.

When I called to let her know I was too sick to work, I could tell she didn't believe me.  She probably thought I was doing the other job.  She never called me again. 

I was sick for about 5 days.  I realized how damaging the disease had been to my body when I start playing in my basketball league again.  I was out-of-breath and short of energy.  It took about a month to be back 100%.

Ever since then, I have gotten a flu shot every year!

 

 

PPS:  Update August 2022:  Paxlovid rebound is a real thing.  My initial recovery from Covid was rapid.  After 5 days, I felt well again.  It lasted almost 2 days.  Then I started getting sick again.  It was like getting Covid for a 2nd time.

During my relapse with Covid, symptoms returned like sore throat and running nose.  I never had a fever the 2nd time but had a terrible fatigue.  I was sick for almost 6 more days.  Covid rapid tests were positive.

I had an online appointment with my doctor on day 4 of the rebound.  I was feeling very poorly and emotionally felt defeated.  She told me I was experiencing Paxlovid rebound and that Paxlovid extends the time of illness.  For this reason, she generally did not prescribe Paxlovid.

The Paxlovid was prescribe by a different doctor who happened to be available that day I initially got sick.  I don't fault him for prescribing it.  My age and some health issues make me eligible for it, but my personal doctor basically said she would not have prescribe it for me.

The good news is I had a quick recovery after day 6 of my rebound illness.  Almost like throwing a switch; I was sick then I was well.

I feel now that Paxlovid was a mistake for me but I will never know.  It is possible I could have gotten much sicker if I had never taken it.

 

 

 

Update 12/14/2022:  An estimate 3 million American lives have been saved by the Covid 19 vaccines:


https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/13/health/covid-19-vaccines-study/index.html