Covid 19 Update: Thanksgiving 2020 That Was

I had kept track of Covid 19 by weeks, but I have long ago lost count.  It is months now, and closing in on a year.

I am astonished and angry at the horrific 3rd wave of Covid overtaking our country.  I may have gotten this wrong, but I thought I heard on the news last week that a person was dying every minute.

The dereliction of responsibility for Covid by the Trump administration should be criminal.  The Trump cult-of-personality has brought us to this point.  He has repeatedly downplayed the pandemic.  He has repeatedly downplayed the seriousness of the disease.  Words have meaning.  His cult-of-personality has led millions of people to not take the pandemic seriously with disastrous results.

I'm saddened by new restrictions that are putting people out of work.  People in so many industries: airlines, travel, restaurants, bars, hotels, entertainment, and so many associated industries, including mine; are suffering.  There are probably millions out there right now who don't have money for rent and don't have money for food.  It is really bad out there for so many people.

Commercial work has kept me busy since the initial Covid shutdown, but suddenly with the new Covid restrictions most of my future jobs have canceled because of Covid.  

I am fearing a long winter with little work now.  And I am angry about it.  It never had to be this way.

Countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Taiwan have done much better.  USA is generally listed as the WORST in the world.  It should be criminal and it never had to be this way.

Now Thanksgiving 2020 for most people (though there are people not doing the right thing) is not happening, including my family.  It is the Thanksgiving that could have happened if we did the right things this year, but didn't.  It's the Thanksgiving that was.


PS:  We had a quiet Thanksgiving at home; my wife, the dog, and I.  My wife made a great turkey dinner.  We spent some time with my family on Zoom and Facetime.  It was as good as it could be.


Update; news stories from the past week:

The young die from Covid, too, even as many engage in denial:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/11/28/fighting-dangerous-myth-covid-only-threatens-old-ill/6440182002/


The US is "rounding the corner into a calamity," say experts with Covid deaths projected to double soon:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html


Update January 15, 2021:  This week a person was dying every 20 seconds in our country!