Covid-19 Layoff Week 6: Busy Work Around The House



I can't believe this is the beginning of Covid-19 Layoff Week 6. If someone had told me 6 weeks ago that I would still be out-of-work with no prospects for future work, I would not have believed it. I would have been depressed, too.


Ignorance can be good sometimes.

No one I know has gotten sick. I hope it stays that way.

I have read rumors of movies starting up again this summer. Hopefully, some commercials start showing up before then.

A huge disappointment in Kentucky is the legislature not reinstating the film tax incentive. Changing the incentive to non-refundable a couple years ago devastated an emerging film industry. There were high hopes that it would be reinstated but the Covid-19 crisis derailed it. I totally understand that. Many worthy causes were left behind because of Covid-19.

I have been somehow keeping busy, but I am not the best at staying self-motivated. I need that deadline: a job, or something that gets me up in the morning working to achieve a goal.

I have been doing busy work around the house. I call it busy work, but really, I should give myself credit. I am getting some needed repairs/improvements done that I haven't had time to do until now.

This is one project:


This electrical mess is a ceiling box is in my garage. It's been like this since we moved in a few years ago.  It powers the garage door opener. Bad, incompetent wiring like this drives me crazy. Someone did not know how to wire this correctly, so they just found a way that works, apparently not caring if it is unsafe.

I’ve been meaning to fix this since we moved in. I’ve even had the box extension and receptacle cover-plate sitting on my workbench in the garage all this time.  Well now I have the time to go at it.

This mess was worse than I realized. The first obvious mistake is the extension cord plug hanging out of an open electric box to power the garage opener.

A little harder to see is an extension cord coming out of the open box and running up into the ceiling.  The extension cord goes to run a ceiling fan in another room of the house.

Hidden from view, this box has been tapped for yet another circuit. They just ran the cable from the attic into the top of the box and didn’t even bother to add a clamp.

I removed the extension cord. For the ceiling fan it powers, I ran another line from a different box closer to the ceiling fan.

I re-routed the other cable tapping into the box so it could be clamped. I added a box extension to have room for the receptacle.  It was better to add the extension than try to squeeze too much into the box.

And here is the finished job:

It looks better and everything is safe.

On to the next job around the house!

When this is all done, my house will have never looked better.