Tool Time: Step Drill Bits


A super-handy item for any electrician to have around is a step-bit.  They look like they could be a gimmicky gadget, but they are not.  Step-bit are great for drilling holes in metal, something electricians have to do all the time, like in enclosures.



These come in different sizes, or ranges of sizes

 They are expensive but worth it.  They excel at drilling in the range between larger drill bits and smaller hole saws, say roughly 3/8" to 1-1/2".  Step-bits do a better job than a standard drill bit, or a hole saw, leaving a smooth, clean hole.

Another advantage is the different sizes that come with one step-bit.  Often, like in the example below, an odd size is required.  A step-bit has many.

Here you can see a metal plate with a hole drilled with a step-bit for a switch:



It looks professional; almost like it was stamped-out with a machine.



When I drilled this hole, I first screwed the plate to scrap lumber.  This made it easier and safer to drill.  There is always the hazard of a drill bit "grabbing" the work, and it starts spinning.  A spinning metal plate like this could easily cause a bad cut.



Here is the finished plate with the switch installed.  It looks great.

I used this recessed switch for the LED lights I just installed in my cargo van.

And the step drill bit; I keep it with my electric tools.