Covid-19 Week 2: Pandemic From The Past; 1918

Well, it is the end of Week 2 of my Covid-19 layoff.  I have come to accept that there will not be a quick end to the shutdown.  I am guessing a least a couple months, but who knows?

I expect when we slowly go back to work, and something of a more normal life, things will not be like they were before.  Social distancing will be here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Of course Covid-19 is not the first pandemic.  History is full of them.  My mom told me a story about a polio epidemic when she was a young girl in Lethbridge, Alberta.  She said everything was closed and people were told to stay home.

In 1918, the influenza pandemic devastated the US, and the world.  One of my cousins, a soldier serving in France during World War I, died from it.  Tragic.  It is hard to comprehend the horror with the backdrop of World War I raging at the same time.  It must have seemed like it was the end of the world.

Here is a great story from National Geographic about how different cities in the US dealt with the influenza pandemic in 1918 and the results:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/#close

There are lessons from the influenza pandemic in 1918 that apply today.



PS:  In The Atlantic; how we may go back to work:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/