Covid-19 Layoff: Week 1

I'm finishing Week 1 of my Covid-19 layoff.  I'm already bored and worried about the future.

Last week, I was working out-of-town on a commercial.  As the week went on, all my future jobs either canceled or postponed.

It is the same across the business.  I don't know anyone working right now.  I'm expecting it will be at least a month, or so, before work starts again.  I'm hoping not much longer than that.

I went to the grocery store last Sunday.  I had been out-of-town so I did not know what had been going on.  I was surprised with empty shelves.  Many basic items were gone; milk, eggs, toilet tissue, bleach, and most surprising to me,  almost all the meat.  I just wanted to buy some ground beef to make chili.  There was none.  It left me disappointed in people.

I've heard in Japan, that if you lose your wallet, or purse, you will most likely get it returned.  Opposite of the way it is in the US.  I've also heard that when there are times of national crisis, like earthquakes, in Japan people will shop for only the minimum amount they need knowing that supplies may be short and other people will need things, too.  I've sadly learned that we are the opposite with this, too:  people are hoarding things leaving none for the rest of us.



PS:  My beer supply is short, too, but fortunately, at least the last time I was at the store, no one is hoarding beer and there was a good selection to choose from!

Down in my bomb shelter, (Yes, my home from 1958 really has one.) my beer supply is dangerously low!