Covid-19 Layoff: Week 1, Part II; Time To Do Some Projects

So while I have no work because of Covid-19, now is a great time to catch up on some projects.

This week, I installed LED ribbon in the cargo area of my Ford E350 cargo van.  I hate to admit it, but I've had the van for years without good lighting in the cargo area.  Often, when working at night, I would stick a 12" Q-Lion light in the van.  This works great, but it is not something I want to leave in the van all the time.

The LED ribbon replaces a couple of these poorly designed lights:


I have nothing good to say about this type of light; they are dim, and unreliable.

Most of the time, the lights didn't work.  Worse, the switches are on the lights.  I couldn't reach them if the cargo area was full.

Here is the new ribbon installed in the van:


It works great and looks great.  The light bouncing off the white roof gives a very soft, even light throughout the back of the van.  I'm a gaffer, so it is important to have my gear look professional.  These lights look professional.

These lights will be great next time I have to work at night.  Something we do all the time in this business.

I used 12 volt ribbon.  It was simple to power it directly with the van's electric.

(I had to order the 12 volt LED ribbon especially for my van.  I have a LED ribbon kit I use all the time at work, but it is all 24 volt.  There are advantages to the 24 volt.  For working with car power, I have voltage converters that convert 12 volt to 24 volt power.

I am not knowledgeable about DC power.  I believe my 12-to-24 volt converters are simply transformers, but I'm am not 100% sure.)

I installed a recessed switch, just inside the back door, so it will be easy to turn-on anytime.

Lighted, recessed switch for the LED lights

I carefully kept wiring and the LED ribbon recessed to make it unlikely that cargo can damage the lights:



I just need a shoot to go on now.  Hopefully, soon.





PS:  Texting with a friend about work: