New Lighting: The Astera AX10 Par

I recently got to work with the big Astera AX10 pars.  I was gaffing a movie.  The director of photography brought 10 of his AX10s.

Astera's AX10 Par


The AX10s are not new, but new to me.  I'm guessing they have been out for at least a couple years.  This was my first time working with them.

I'm familiar with Astera lights.  I own Astera AX1 tubes and AX5 pars.  I've also worked with the little Astera AX3 puck-light-like pars, and the Titan tubes.

The entire Astera line is great to work with.  They all are wireless, battery-powered lights, that you can control with their software on a tablet.  (I even have the software on my iPhone, in case something ever happened to my tablet.)

My first impression of the AX10s is favorable.  I think in the future, I would almost automatically add 4 or 6 AX10s to any movie lighting package.

It is a huge time saver being able to place these lights without having to run any cables, dial-in any color I want, and adjust the brightness from anywhere on set.

An issue with any light with multiple sources are unnatural shadows with multiple edges.  The optics of the AX10s are well designed.  I never noticed any issues with shadows.

The AX10s come with diffusion discs that clips over the lens.  I have seen 2 options.  One I would guess is similar to 250.  The other is similar but has a grid like Tough Silk.  The diffusion disc spreads the beam on 1-axis.  A great feature, but limited by the way the disc clips onto the light.  It cannot be rotated.

An interesting look from the AX10s: I often placed them on the ground as up-lights bouncing off ceilings; around corners, and behind columns.  When actors walked by them, there were great film-noir like shadows on walls.  Inadvertent, but it looked great.  Perfect for a suspense movie.  I'm going to file this effect away and use it in the future.



Here is a night scene with 4-AX10s on the rooftop and 2-AX10s are on the ground.  There is an high bounce with an M18 in it giving an overall base.  We also had a couple Gemini 1x2's with softboxes brought in as needed for close-ups (also on batteries).



  
Another angle of the same scene.  It seemed like it only took minutes to rig the AX10s on the rooftop.  If I had to run power and maybe DMX cables, this would have taken much longer.  Speed is a huge advantage of these battery-powered, wireless lights.

There is one downside to these, and all battery-powered lights; it is keeping them charged.  It takes some time at the end of the day--which is typically very busy to begin with---to find a place to charge the lights, and get them plugged-in.  I sometimes have to take lights home, or to my hotel, and charge them overnight.