New Gear: The DMXit-512EW Wireless Battery-powered DMX Controller

My newest gadget is the DMXit-512EW.  It is small, portable, DMX controller with a built-in, battery-powered, Lumenradio transmitter.  It also has a great feature DMXit calls total universe.  With this feature, the entire 512 channels of a universe can be accessed (but only 12 channels at a time).
DMXit-512EW

I have been looking for sometime for a simple and quick way to control a handful of lights on set; say 5 or 6.  Most of the time, that is all I need.  The DMXit-512 is perfect for this.

(If I need to control more than that, or elaborate effects, I would try to get a board operator.)

I recently worked on a shoot where we needed to hang a couple LiteMats (a 4 and an 8) with built-in receivers.  It was a breeze using the DMXit to wireless control the lights.

So far the only downside I've found are slide dimmers are somewhat less precise than using Lumenradio on a tablet.  With the tablet, I can set a light to a specific value, like a color-temp of 56K.  With the slide dimmers, I don't have a read-out telling me the exact value.  With some lights, that setting maybe 100 percent on the dimmer, but with others it maybe 70 or 80 percent depending upon the manufacturer of that light.

With the DMXit, I have to rely more on visually adjusting the light.  I'm finding this to be a small inconvenience for the ease and speed of adjusting lights with the DMXit.

I have used DMXit's products for years.  Their little portable DMX controller have been ubiquitous on sets for years.  Their units are easy to use and dependable.  I'm expecting the 512 will be dependable and last a long time.

The DMXit can also be hard wire with DMX and power.

The next thing I need to get are receivers.  Many of the newer, professional lights, have a Lumenradio receiver built-in.  I expect most lights will have this feature in the near future.  But of course, many, older DMX lights do not and require either hard-wiring to a controller, or using a wireless receiver.





PS:  A note to light manufactures out there, if you want your light to be considered a professional light, we all need to be on the same page; use Lumenradio.

On another shoot recently, the DP brought some new lights.  I saw they had built-in receivers.  Great right?  No it wasn't.  They used a different wireless protocol (why?).  I could not control them wirelessly with my DMXit (unless I used plug-in DMX receivers which I did not have with me).


PPS:  If you are wondering about my objectivity; I received no compensation for writing good things about the DMXit 512.  My unit is not a freebie, or a demo.  I purchase the unit for my own use.