Magnetic Tube Bases

One thing I get asked about all the time is; "Where did you get those magnetic bases for your Astera tubes?"

I made these, but of course, it is not an original idea.  I've seen variations of this, but often it is not a good design.

These are simple and effective.  One base will easily hold the weight of an Astera tube.  For extra safety, if people will be under the tube, I'll use 2 bases.


Astera Clamp with a magnetic base

These mounts are super useful for Astera tubes.  They also fit Quasar Crossfade tubes, too.

I've been buying the magnets on eBay.  Look for:  neodymium cup magnet 1.5" countersunk permanent magnet with a pull force of 120 pounds.  Shop around; prices vary widely with cost and shipping.



I attach the magnet to the Astera clamp with a 1/4-20 flat-head machine bolt 3/4" long.  I use 1 or 2 washers between the magnet and the base to keep the bolt from pushing the jaw slightly open.  You will see if it is a problem as you assemble them.  If the locking jaw is kept from fully closing by the bolt, add washers as spacers.  I also use Loctite on the bolts to insure that they will not come loose.


Another handy mount for tubes are these spring clamps with Astera clamps:


#2 Spring clamp with an Astera clamp


The grips on Extremely Wicked came up with these.  I love them.

 

 

Update  February 2024:  I've been finding it harder to find these magnets on eBay and the prices have gotten much higher.  The last few times, I've been buying these on Amazon from the Applied Magnet Store; sometimes cheaper directly from their store.  Do shop around.  Prices vary widely.