Par Cans And A Gaffer's Garden

I had a few old par can housing that have been laying around for parts.  I was going to throw then out, but then I had the idea to use them as flower planters.  I put them in a large flower garden in my backyard.  It seems kind-of-cool.  I'll have to wait and see how the flowers do in them.


A Gaffer's Garden; 3 Par Cans Used As Planters

I seldom use par cans, but at the same time, I love them as lighting instruments.  They have great output and are inexpensive.  Automatically, if I have a condor going up with large tungsten heads, like T12s or maxi-brutes, I'll put a couple par cans in there, too.  They are great for adding a little light on some unexpected area.  I've been on more than one job, where the DP has had me turn off the big guns and just leave on a couple par cans.  Funny.

I've seen at outdoor events where the rock-and-roll lighting guys will use large arrays of par cans in a rack for lighting.  (If there are 6 par cans to a light bars, 16 bars would make sense to me, for a total of 96 heads; around a 100K light.)  The result is a beautiful soft tungsten light.


PS:  After a few weeks, the planters are doing well!