Dimming Quasar Crossfade Tubes Revisited

I did a post not long ago about adding resistors to my 1K hand-dimmers to help with dimming Quasar Crossfade Tubes:  https://electricgrip.blogspot.com/2019/01/using-hand-dimmers-on-leds-without.html

My hope was to use my existing hand dimmers for LEDs as well as resistive loads.  The upgraded helped, but . . . I've still had problems on a couple occasions with Quasar Crossfade tubes flickering while on a dimmer.

Frustratingly, I've tested my 4x4 Quasars at home and they dim perfectly.  The couple times I've had flickering issues on location, I have later tested the dimmers at home.  Each time, they have worked perfectly.

So what is going on?  I'm guessing that I'm running in to locations where the voltage is less than normal.  Surprising as this sound, it is not uncommon, especially in commercial building.  My guess, is the electricians--the bad ones--in a hurry to complete the building, do not check the voltage on the transformer/s.

Years ago, I was on a location shoot where the Kino Flos were acting erratically; not coming on, flickering, etc.  Checking the voltage, and this was a new building, it was around 105 volts.  Checking around, we found another section of the building with 120 volt service and ran stingers from there for our lights.

Another time in a large, heavy-equipment, factory building, there were voltage drops every couple minutes.  The editor must have had a hard time cutting around the flicker we would get each time the voltage dropped.

But I am going far afield now.  I think now the real solutions to my problem is to just buy some new dimmers that are specifically intended for use with LED.

I put together a new hand dimmer with a Leviton DSM10-1LZ.


Homemade Hand-dimmer with Leviton DSM10-1LZ Dimmer

I'm going to see how this ones performs.  If it does a good job, I will make a few more.

I like that this dimmer is still good for a 1000 watt resistive load.  It is rated at 450 watt for LED and CFL.  Not that CFL matters to me.  I can't remember the last time I worked with CFLs.  And as a bonus, the dimmer is rated at 1000 VA for a magnetic low voltage power supply.

I've tested this dimmer on a 4x4 Quasar Crossfade light.  It performed very well being able to dim the 4x4 to almost the threshold of being on without an flicker.  I expect it will work very well on location.

Update February 2020:  I'm now using Legrand Trademaster LSCL450 dimmers for my larger LED lights.  I stopped using the Leviton dimmer becasue there is lag between adjusting the slide on the dimmer and the change in light level.  Something to do with the electronics.  This makes it difficult to finely adjust the level.

https://electricgrip.blogspot.com/2020/02/hand-dimmers-and-led-lights-again.html