My Own Electric Problem


I’m a gaffer who has been living with my own electric problem; my heart.  For years, I have been struggling with a slow irregular heartbeat that would randomly pause.

It hasn’t been too bad, until a few months ago.

At the same time, it was worse than I ever realized.

Back in January, I was seeing a nurse practitioner for a regular checkup.  She listened to my heart and said, "I want you to go over to the hospital and see a cardiologist this afternoon."

I said, "Can I do it next week?"  I had a tech scout that afternoon.

She said, "You really need to go this afternoon."

That scared me.

After testing, the cardiologist found my heart is strong and healthy, but has an electric problem.  The systems in the heart which trigger the heartbeat were not working.  Surgery for a pacemaker was the only option.

Three weeks since the surgery, I feel great.  I didn’t have any idea how bad I had been feeling.  It is a miracle that a little device in my chest is running my heart.


After a few more weeks, I will be able to gradually return to doing everything I was able to do before.


Update March 2021:  I've been living with a pacemaker for 2 years now and feel great.   I have no restrictions on my activities and I've been able to do everything physically that I was doing before.  It is miraculous technology.  I'm even running like before; twice a week if the weather is good for 4-5 miles each time.