Using Hand Dimmers On LEDs Without Flicker

Work is generally slow for me through the holidays and into January. It is always a great time to work on my gear.

Recently, I added dimmer modules to my 1K hand dimmers. Often, I will have a hand dimmers on a 4x4 Quasar (4-4' Quasar tubes in a 4x4 Kino Flo housing). At low levels, visible flicker is often a problem. These modules are specifically for use with dimmers to reduce or prevent visible flickering of the lights.

A dimmer module added to a triac dimmer
The modules I bought are 120 volt using around 1.5 watts of power. These are intended to go in a parallel circuit on the load side of the dimmer and installed in the box with the dimmer. You can see in the picture below that the module is simply a potted resistor.


LED dimmer module
The Quasars tubes dim better with the dimmer module installed especially at low levels. With most of my dimmers, I was able to dim a 4x4 Quasar to almost the threshold of being on without any flicker.

It is surprising to me that the minuscule additional load is enough for the hand dimmers to operate better at low levels.

I tested the hand dimmers on a single LED light bulb. The results were not as good. It seemed like there is an improved low level, but the bulb would flicker and sometimes start flashing if dimmed to low. (I was using Cree dimmable bulbs for the test.)

For use on a single practical lamp, my 1K hand dimmers even with the dimming module would not be the best option. I would use a Credenza CL dimmer instead.

An earlier post talking about Credenza CL dimmers:

https://electricgrip.blogspot.com/2018/12/dimming-quasar-tubes-and-flickering.html





PS: Like many gaffers, I put together my hand dimmers.


One of my 1k hand dimmers
My earliest dimmers were in metal handy boxes. These have little protection from water and dirt getting inside. I suspect, too, the metal box can act like an antenna broadcasting electrical noise. Worse, the handy box dimmers do not look professional.

It is important to have gear that looks professional.

My current dimmers are in weather-proof plastic boxes. I use water-proof strain reliefs becasue they give the box a clean look. CVG-type are similar and great, too.

Note while these boxes give the dimmers some weather resistance, they are not water-proof. I would guess they would have around an IP 62 rating.

Importantly, I use high quality name brand dimmers. They are built better, generate less electrical noise, and dim better.