Tungsten Lighting


I love tungsten lighting.  As a gaffer, there is no better light source for great color rendition and skin tones.

There are downsides to tungsten lighting: the large power draw, the heat output, and the impracticality of using them as daylight sources.  I foresee in the not-to-distant-future where tungsten lights will be obsolete, but that day isn’t here yet.  Tungsten is still the best way to go in the studio every time.

I have a small package of Mole Richardson and Arri tungsten lights.  I love the Mole heads.  Nothing conjures up Hollywood lighting more than the classic Mole Richardson lights.

I have been refurbishing all my old Mole lights this year.  I believe it is important to bring equipment to the job that works well, and looks good.  It is professionalism.

I bought my Mole lights years ago, but have never worked on them.  They still had the names of long gone production houses stenciled on them.  Some needed repairs.

I have a couple classic Mole Juniors, Type 412.  These are one of my favorite lights with the large 10-inch fresnels. They are great for portraiture.
 
Repainted Mole 412,  You can tell this is an old head by the tubular yoke.  Later heads have a cast yoke.
I repainted the heads.  I have been concerned about the asbestos leads from the power switch to the socket.  To reduce the possibility of any dust coming off of these, I carefully wrapped the leads with white silicone tape.  I believe this will hold up well with the high temperatures.

I removed the asbestos gasket around the lens and replaced it with a couple layers of fiberglass tape.

I’m not sure what the purpose of the gasket is.  I’m guessing it is to protect the lens from thermal shock from the metal retaining ring.

I cleaned the reflector and the fresnel.  The lights are noticeable brighter, and they look great, too.
 
Finished refurbished Mole 412.  Just like new!

Other Mole lights I have been working on recently are my Mole 2K zips, Type 2591.  The 2K zip is a great light.  Unfortunately, the switches often fail. Worse, servicing the switches is a nightmare that has befallen many a set electrician.
This is typical of what you find in a failed head with heat damaged wiring.  Note the bare hot lead.

My first experience with this was on a shoot many years ago working as a set electrician.  We had a zip with broken switches that we needed to use.  Young and eager, I told the gaffer I would replaces the switches.

It seems like it would be a simple thing, but it was not.  The switch housing is unnecessarily very small making wiring and assembling the housing difficult.

The zip I thought I would quickly repair, took me something like an hour to get back together and working.

The other design problem with the 2K zips is heat.  The switches are just too close to the lamps and get very hot.  If the heads are tilted down, as they often are, the heat rises directly to the switches.  Little wonder the switches often fail.

I had 4 heads needing switches; 8 total switches if I replaced them all.  Shopping around I found a typical price of $35!  Anyone who works on electronics would know that is an absurd price for what should be a $5 part.

(This is a common problem with repairing equipment in our business.  Companies charge extravagant prices for parts. One of my Creamsource Doppios lost a knob on a movie.  I called about a replacement and was quoted around $45 dollars!  Shopping around, I found the manufacture of the the knob.  I purchase the identical replacements for $6 each direct from the manufacturer.)

I bought Carling switches (PN EK204-73XG) for around $5 each.  They have a higher rating of 20 amps at 125 volts.  They are slightly larger, but fit in the enclosures.

Some of the original switches were curiously rated at 8.33 at 125 volts.  This is right at the max load for a 1k lamp.  I don’t know any electrician that would use equipment at its max load rating.  It would be like me putting a 1400-amp load on a 1400-amp generator. (That would end badly.)  It would be like a rigger hanging 1-ton of lights on a 1-ton motor.  You just don’t do that.  You leave some room for error and safety.
 
Finished wiring ready for assembly.  Note extra vent holes.  Ceramic wirenuts and fiberglass tape to handle the high heat.
I’m hoping the Carling switches with the 20-amp rating will tolerate the high heat better than the original switches.  I also drilled additional vent holes in the housing to hopefully lower the heat in the housing.

I don't know if it is a factory thing, but the switch housings are often separated from the light with washer spacers.  I was sure to do the same when I re-assembled the housings.  I wonder if it is just a thing set technicians have done to reduce heat convection and allow a little more air circulation.
 
Repainting before and after.
I repainted the heads and now they look and work good as new.

Next on my repair list is this cool old Mole Baby Type 406 from the 1940s.
 
Mole Richardson Baby Fresnel Type 406 from the 1940s.
 
Cool plaque on the side of the light.

Danny at Ample Power and Light gave it to me.  I plan to restore it and put it in my office.