My New Old Light; A Kino Flo Mega Single



Recently, I bought a Kino Flo Mega 8-foot single.  I saw a used one for sale in great shape and couldn’t resisted added it to my inventory.  If you are not familiar with the Kino Flo Mega series, it is a fluorescent light like the workhorse Kino Flo 4-foot series.  The difference is the Mega series comes in 6 and 8 feet.  The eight-foot light seems huge close-up.

The Megas are definitely a specialty light:  they are great backlights; great anytime you need a long-reflected light source; make an interesting wrap-around key light; and my favorite use of them, they are a fantastic eye light.

I lit a job at Jim Beam distillery with Kid Rock.  I remember how he almost always wear sunglasses.  I used an 8-foot Mega Flo as an eye-light.  It looked great with the white line of the Kino Flo reflecting in the sunglasses, moving around as he spoke.  A 4-foot Kino Flo would have not been wide enough.  Everyone loved it.  They thought the lighting look so good, there was talk of taking me to Chicago for the next job.  Here is a picture of me on the set at Jim Beam, photoshopped of course, I used for my annual New Year Card:





Update July 2019:

I have replaced the fluorescent tube with an 8-foot Quasar Crossfade tube.  I love it.

This really ups the game for this light.  It is brighter.  I can adjust the color temp.  It is now dimmable.  Best of all, I don't have to pack 8-foot glass florescent tubes around.  The 8-foot tubes are awkward to deal with.

I have gone with Quasar Crossfade tubes in all my Kino Flo housings.  There are so many advantages, it is just the best way to go.  My workhorses are the 4'x4 bank housings, but I also love using my Mega Flo housings.  I have 2-6'x4 bank housings and 2-8'x8 bank housing.  These are just great for all the wrap you get with the large, wide source.