Creamsource Upgrade

Anyone who works with me knows I have Creamsource LED panels.  These are great high output LED panels.  I first worked on these lights on a commercial with Greig Fraser years ago.  He was a big supporter of these lights.  I was so impressed with these lights I went out and bought some.
 
Creamsource Doppio On American Speed

The Creamsources have worked out well for me, but as time went on it became clear they did have a slight green spike.  A common problem with high output LEDs.

The green spike in LEDs is mostly not a green issue as much as it is a deficiency in the R9 value; red.  This is important to know.  If the deficiency is severe, adding magenta will not really correct the color quality since the red is not there.

Last year, one day while gaffing My Days Of Mercy, the DP Radek Ladczuk says to me, what is wrong with one of the Creamsources, a 1x2' Doppio?  It is green.

I was busted.  I had been using the Creamsources mostly in situations where any green would not be an issue, but this time it was keying an actress.  The green was obvious compared to the other lights which were HMIs.

After that I realized that I had to do something about the green in the Creamsources.  Evidently, so did Outsight, the makers of the Creamsource lights.

Outsight came out with a upgrade kit for the Creamsource with their latest "Plus" LEDs.  The Plus LEDs have taken out the green spike along with a much improved R9 value.
Creamsource Plus LED Upgrade Kit
It was expensive, but I had my older lights upgraded to Plus LEDs.  (My newest lights are already Plus LEDs.)

It's funny, I don't think any DP has noticed the difference with the Creamsources.  As a gaffer and technician, I see the difference.  I'm happy with the improvement.



Plus LED CRI/TLCI Charts


I custom made the battery plates and cables for my Mini Doppios.  The light can be power by 2-Gold Mount batteries.

Mini with Gold Mount battery plates under the yoke with power cord
The larger Doppios can be battery powered, too, but require a block battery.  The Doppio 3-pin power cord will directly plug into a block battery.