Wednesday, October 14, 2015

LED Ribbon Light Kit

My custom LED ribbon light kit is coming along.  I used it gaffing on a Steven David Productions show in September, "American Speed", a mini-series about NASCAR.

Some components of my LED kit


I love LED ribbon.  It is easy to quickly add a light in a tight places.

My kit has been a work in progress.  I started over a year ago.  My motivation was a couple jobs using LED ribbon that did not go a quickly or trouble-free as I would like.  The biggest problems I found are time-consuming-to-use connectors, and sometime bad connections, that light ribbon comes with.

Anything that is not quick or reliable makes me look bad.

My kit is 24 volt bi-color ribbon.  It has an excellent CRI of 95 in tungsten and daylight.  I use simple electric connectors; the water-proof LED type, which just push together.  (These come with fastening nuts, which I don't use and discard.)  I put together my own flicker-free dimmers; 2-channel PWM.  I also put together a couple 12 to 24 VDC transformers for car use, which plug into a lighter outlet.

 This scene is almost completely lit with LED ribbon:

iPhone picture of a monitor



No comments:

Post a Comment